Sunday, September 8, 2013

30 Day D&D Challenge: Day 8-Favorite Character You Have Played

Oh this is an easy one.  Its Quinn!  My 8th-level Half-Elf Fighter/Undead Slayer from our High School AD&D Neverwinter/Luskan campaign(s).  He was like Indiana Jones meets Kurt Sloane from Kickboxer.  He cut the heads off vampires and slapped Wyverns out of the air with his magical throwing axe: RuneCutter.  Son of an evil Necromancer elf and Human Priestess, Quinn hunted down ghoul infestations and was on a never-ending quest to enchant his mastercrafted longsword, Ghoulslayer, into the greatest Undead-slaying weapon in the Realms!

Urg.  Just typing the history of my character I can tell people are already getting bored.  But for real, he was the shiznit.  Dex 18, +4 studded leather, he was untouchable.  I even got my brother to draw a picture of him back in like '94 and I still have it.  In fact, its framed and hanging above my computer.  Don't believe me?  Here:

Looking at it, I realize it was back when my bro was playing around with drawing Anime-style hair, well, really it was more like Voltron-style hair.  We both dislike Anime, but I say that Voltron isn't really "Anime."  Its...uh...whatever you called Japanese art style before the term Anime was coined and used to describe anything pertaining to Final Fantasy.  Look, the point is that its an old drawing from high school.  And I still have it because its my favorite D&D character ever.

So...Favorite D&D character verified!  Quinn!

I never did get that sword enchanted.  This was 2nd edition AD&D, so the rules for crafting magic weapons were ridiculous and basically up to the DM's whim. And since the whimsical Brando was my DM, the recipe for crafting the sword called for like eighteen nearly-impossible components.  One of which was it had to be doused in Blue Dragon blood, which is not easy to find...

There I go again.  Anyways, you know you've found your favorite D&D character when you won't shut up about it.

 

6 comments:

Sophie Maia House said...

Very nice. I have to go with Roland. He was a fighter with 18 strength and 16 charisma, back in 1st and 2nd edition when Charisma was a useless stat. Born to be king, he was the natural leader of any adventuring band; the captain America of Forgotten Realms. Named for the ill-fated rear guard leader in the Song of Roland, my character carried a horn. But it called elven warriors rather than barbarians because.... Uh. .... Well... Elves are cool.

Cory said...

Good name. And also a Fighter, so respect. Though I can't really take a horn that summons Elves seriously. When I think of summoning elf warriors, all I can think of are the 'Hot Cops' from Arrested Development. But still, if you ever need to get a Batchelorette party goin', you know who to call!

brando said...

So many cool things about Quinn. Quinn is pretty great. No doubt about it. And he only buys black horses. He first bought a fast horse, but it died somehow, so he then bought a huge extra-stompy warhorse.

And named him Mr. Sinister.

Also, I would love to keep playing that Quinn game sometime. Let's do that. We've got a sword to enchant.

brando said...

More Quinn stories, please.

Cory said...

IQuinn's first horse ("Struumfaust") died from an Ettercap bite. Which isnt really a surprise, since Ettercaps were like entries 1-46 on your d100 wandering monster table.

brando said...

Yeah, and entries 47-90 are Super Ettercaps (they're yellow), and entries 91-100 are Super Duper Ettercaps. (They're red)

I wish I were joking.

Worst. DM. Ever.

Quinn rolls into a stable and says: "So, you got any black horses?"

Stablemaster: "Well, I have a few strong steeds out bred from the Longsaddle stock."

Quinn: "Are they black?"

S: "They're tan, but more importantly they're the long haired breed that can take the cold northern winters"

Quinn: "So, where do they sell the black horses?"