Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Gamin' DIY Accessories: Dry Ice Fog machine

As many of you know, I am a fan of props in gaming. Even with boardgames. I figure if you're going to donate a few precious work-week evening hours to a game, and you're having people over to do it, you might as well use gold tokens for money or paint your minis to give it that extra uumph.

What only a few of you might know is that I have an unhealthy love for dry ice in gaming. I use it whenever I can get my hands on it. All gaming is better with dry ice fog settling all over the place. I find that chemical fog machines and smoke machines don't have the same effect as good old dry ice does. Even though dry ice can be messy and dangerous (and I have the frozen-off fingerprints to prove it), at least it doesn't have the sneeze-inflicting stink that your standard 'Party City Halloween Fog-O-Matic Deluxe' produces. No, dry ice only emits nice, cool, clean-smelling, suffocating Carbon Dioxide. Like nature intended.

Plus you can get Dry Ice in 1 lb bricks at most grocery stores like Hy-Vee, especially around Halloween (just go to the customer service desk and ask for it), which is what made me think of it.

This last weekend I decided that just putting dry ice in a bowl and setting it in the middle of the table during gaming, while cool-looking, just wouldn't give me the directional control over the foggyness that a true gamesman requires. Therefore I got online and looked for better ways to control my dry ice flow for gaming, wherein I found some good videos for such a project.





So, borrowing an old cooling fan PC card and a dremel from a buddy of mine, and drinking an epic boatload of coffee, I went about crafting my own dry ice dispensing machine. Using a coffee tin, small computer fan extracted from a PC card, a 9-volt battery and a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe I myself a nice little dispenser following that You-tube video linked above. And a little guy like this only takes about twenty minutes to make too. Now we're ready to game!

Towel wrapped around it so I can carry it around if I want (Funfact: Metal gets cold).
No stains or anything from dry ice fog left on the table (chemical fog machines can leave a residue)
Now the mist-shrouded jungles of Jargono can live up to the name!

No comments: